There is no denying the fact that cloud computing comes with various advantages. Apart from the obvious benefit of eliminating the need for maintaining an on-premise IT infrastructure, it has other benefits too. A flexible pricing model, resource scaling, enhanced security, and data recovery are other factors that influence many businesses to invest in cloud computing services.
As you can see, companies have much to gain from successful cloud migration. However, this is where the real challenge lies. Cloud architects reveal that the major risk involved in this transition lies in the migrated applications’ inability to perform optimally. Research by Accenture found out that the majority of organizations are not able to realize the full potential of cloud migration.
Need for a Pre-Migration Testing Strategy
Cloud architects, without doubt, can testify that migration is a complex and long-drawn process. It requires robust security measures in place as the threat of data loss looms large. A thorough study of the migrated, as well as the legacy applications, is to be conducted. It helps to discover any discrepancies between them.
The pre-migration testing ensures the optimal running of the migrated applications in the new environment. Cloud architects need to make sure that the migrated applications are compatible with the new cloud architecture. There needs to be a thorough analysis and study of cloud-centered system attributes to ensure good performance post-migration. In the absence of a well-defined strategy, you run the risk of facing problems after migrating the applications. This is why investing in a trusted cloud application development company is important to benefit from scalable and flexible applications even after cloud deployment.
The need for a pre-migration testing strategy assumes more importance in the presence of several challenges to a successful transition.
- Cloud Architecture Optimization
- Performance Issues
- Application Durability and Strength
- To ensure that the application remains secure and functional in the new environment, the testing strategy must delineate the kinds of software testing to be conducted during and post-migration. Load and stress testing, performance testing, security testing, compatibility testing, among others need to be executed by QA professionals.
- To enhance the efficiency of the testing process, it is necessary to use the right testing tools and follow the best industry practices and standards. Cloud migration is a very complicated process. Following the best practices along with the insights of experienced QA professionals will simplify this complex process to a large extent.
- Cloud architects need to be vigilant about the functional and data flow of an application during the migration process. QA professionals must utilize advanced tools to verify the back-end processes on the basis of time, volume, and structure. Doing so will ensure that the application is delivering good user experiences.
- In a successful cloud migration testing strategy, the frequent modification of applications for a good user experience assumes center stage. Testing for load, performance, and security needs to be conducted throughout the cloud deployment. It requires a sizable number of personnel and tools.