What is Internet of Things?
Internet of things can be termed as an inter-network connection of physical devices or connected devices such as buildings, vehicles, and more. These devices are embedded with software, electronics, sensors, network connectivity, and actuators that help them to collect and transmit data. Simply said, I can also be said as “the infrastructure of the information society”. Internet of things allows the objects to be controlled or sensed by remote across the existing network infrastructure. This also creates opportunities for direct integration of the world into computer-based technical systems to improve efficiency, economic benefit, and accuracy
These days the internet of things has also changed the face of healthcare by redefining the way devices, apps, and people interact with each other. Starting from personal fitness, implantable devices, and wellness sensors to surgical robots, IoT has come up with new and efficient tools that result in integrated healthcare. It provides better patient care, reduces healthcare costs, and improves treatment outcomes. IoT offers large opportunities for hospitals to promote wellness through automated workflow and process excellence.
Advantage of IoT to Healthcare
- Reduced Costs: "Connected healthcare solutions allow doctors to monitor patients on a real-time basis. This reduces unnecessary physician visits. Also, advanced home care facilities prevents hospital stays."
- Improved Treatment Outcomes: "Connected Health provide access to real-time information that allows evidence-based treatments resulting in data-driven and informed decisions."
- Real-time Disease Management: "diseases can be cured easily before they worsen with continuous patient monitoring and real time data access."
- Minimizes Errors: "Automated work flows, data-driven decisions and actions, and accurate data collection reduces errors and system costs."
- Improved Patient Experience: "Connected Health focuses on patient centricity. Procreative treatments, better accuracy in diagnosis, timely doctor intervention, lead to efficient care."
Internet of things has played a transformation role in healthcare. However, it is important for any organization to prepare itself to manage digital disruption and integrate it with the overall care environment in order to build combined healthcare ecosystems.