The Big Instagram Group Call Announcement:
Moving beyond the Facebook messenger rooms, the recent announcement by Instagram on May 21, 2020 stated that:
“Starting today, you can create @messenger Rooms on Instagram and invite anyone to join “.
You can simply create a room and as many as your favorite 50 people can join the room. While Instagram is already hot-favorite among many, the added feature has created a sense of excitement in its users who are making the most of this new feature.
The Pros and Cons of Instagram Messenger Rooms:
- It is a novel way to use Facebook’s multi-participant video chat option.
- Facebook has added the specific feature called Rooms for groups and events that will limit unauthorized people from sending random annoying messages and dropping in your rooms.
- “Rooms for Workplace” is another feature which is great for people who would like to have a video chat with their colleagues for a secure discussion.
- You can send a link to anyone even if they are not on Instagram. They don’t even need to have a Facebook account.
- You can lock-out anyone who is not supposed to be in the call.
- Even though the room is created on Instagram, one has to switch to the Facebook messenger in order to engage in the video chat.
- Some users found the rooms to be glitchy which is likely attributed to the display format.
- The active rooms and active connections are both displayed on the same panel. This makes it difficult to ascertain who is actually active in the room at a glance.
How to create an Instagram Messenger Room?
Here are a few simple steps that one needs to follow for an amazing video chatting experience.
- Head to the “Direct Message” section on the Instagram app
- Tap on the video chat icon on the top-right corner of the app screen.
- You will be directed to the next page where you can select the “Create a Room” option.
- The room is now created and you can choose to join room or continue sending the invitation link.
- The user will be directed to the messenger app. You can all now enjoy the Instagram group video call.
The feature is expected to be extended to another Facebook-owned social media platform Whatsapp. So, stay tuned for more updates and make the most of the new video chatting options coming up every day.